Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Gluten Free at Disney - Kona Cafe

We went to Disney in October for the first time since we found out about Cameron's food allergy, and the first time since being Gluten Free.

It was the first place we traveled to that I wasn't worried about getting sick at all. Disney is the best when it comes to customizing experiences for guest with allergies of any kind. Each and every food location we went to went above and beyond to make our experience perfect.

Over the next few Wednesdays I will be posting my reviews of different Disney restaurants, snack carts and our resort, Coronado Springs, from a gluten-free perspective. I hope this information is helpful to anyone who needs it. Please feel free to ask a question in the comments, or send me an email!

Kona Cafe - Dinner



Location: Disney's Polynesian Resort

I couldn't get any really awesome photos of Kona Cafe because the entire Polynesian Resort is under renovation. But it is located on the second floor of the Polynesian, next to Ohana, closer to the monorail entrance.

Reservations: Yes, I would recommend you have an advance dining reservation (ADR) for this restaurant, all though you may not need one. If you don't have one be sure to go at an off hour.
Another reason to make a reservation anywhere they take them on Disney property is when you are making them, there is a section to note your food allergy, that way the hostess can make the waiter aware of it when seating you.

Serving: breakfast, lunch and dinner (we ate there for dinner)

The following dining experience took place October 2014:

At the time of our visit Disney had begun testing menus at certain restaurants that are for guests with food allergies (in the past, and at some restaurants that are not testing this, upon learning of your food allergy, the chef would come speak to you at the table) so we were given a Gluten Free menu when we were seated.

Our waiter asked if we would still like to speak to the chef, but we declined. He said he would be back to take our order with a special allergy form, and returned with a sheet that he filled out, specifying the allergy, and our table right down to the time he took our order.

Now for the delicious part, the food.

We noticed when we walked in, bread on everyone's table (which we assumed we wouldn't be getting) but to our surprise they brought us the most amazing allergy free rolls (gluten, dairy and nut free) and sweet butter to spread on them. So good I forgot to take a picture.

We also ordered a sashimi appetizer, but I forgot to take that picture as well, we were super hungry from a day filled with travel.

All of the items on the gluten free menu, are regular menu items, that your non-gf friends can order as well.

Cameron ordered the Grilled Kona Coffee-rubbed Pork Chop


I was surprised, because he almost never orders pork when we are out to eat. It was so delicious. I would highly recommend it!

I have been craving sushi, so I instantly knew I wanted the Volcano Roll. Let's just say everyone wanted this when it got to my table.


This work of art, I mean sushi dish, was the best sushi I have ever had, complete with gluten-free soy sauce.

And last, but not least, the dessert. I am sucker for Crème Brûlée, so when Meghan (from HayesDays.com) said it was the best she has ever had, I knew we had to order it.


Yes, that is a caramelized banana on top. Just order it.

Have you ever eaten at Kona Cafe? It is on my MUST DO list for all the trips now.


2 comments:

  1. Just order it. Best way to describe that creme brûlée. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete