Monday, September 15, 2014

No-Sew Disney Inspired Pocket Tee


If you know anything about me you know I love a good pocket tee. Almost as much as I love Disney. Put them together and you have a seriously cute way to Disney Bound.

Last time we visited, they had some I liked but they were all men's sizes and didn't fit me right. So for this trip I decided to make my own. I took the leftover remnants of this adorable fabric (I had purchased it for Jenny Penny Designs to make a baby shower gift for my sister-in-law) a tee from Target and my very little lack of sewing skills to put together this no-sew DIY disney inspired pocket tee.

What you need:
Tee Shirt*
Fabric Scrap*
No-Sew Tape (or Fabric Glue)
Scissors
Iron
Pocket Tee Template
Fabric Chalk (or washi tape)


*it is very important to pre-wash the tee and the fabric so when you wash it for the first time, it won't shrink funny with the no-sew tape

STEP ONE:
Iron tee shirt, and the fabric you wish to use

STEP TWO:
Use pocket template (download below) to cut out your fabric, then iron it into a pocket using the template guides

 I used the template as a guide, but didn't keep to it exactly.

STEP THREE:
Fold in the extra fabric and iron them down. Keep the lines as straight as you can! Iron until the edges stay perfectly folded when you pull the iron off, almost like they are sewn.

I used fabric glue, but if I was using no sew tape, I would add some in between the top layer and the fold.

STEP FOUR:
I am just about the messiest glue user ever, so I used this cake pop craft stick to apply the fabric glue to seal the edges to the inside.
STEP FIVE:
I used another pocket tee of mine (told you I love them) to measure the placement,
then used the ironed pocket to mark the spot.
STEP SIX:
You could use fabric chalk to keep the spot, but I didn't have any. So I improvised and outlined my desired spot with washi tape.
STEP SEVEN:
After the pocked area is outlined, apply the glue (or no sew tape) to to the back of the pocket. I wanted to keep my pocket functioning, so I just put it on the folded areas on the inside of the pocket and glued it down (be sure to put a sheet of paper between the two layers of the shirt so you don't glue it together!)

Allow it to dry for 24 hours before you wear it to try to wash it! I personally would line dry!


I think this is a super cute way to Disney Bound, especially because you can pick whatever fabric you want! Etsy has some cute options for Disney fabric, but it would be cute to use vintage sheets or fabric from your local store.

Pocket Tee Template:
Pocket Tee Template, be sure to print at actual size not shrink to page size

8 comments:

  1. Thanks! I am kind of impressed with how well it turned out myself! Especially with my zero sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cute idea!! Much love from http://devilreturnsprada.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fabric is super adorable! Well done on the tee, my dear. It makes me want a pocket tee now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS! I am sure it would be better if I could sew, but one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoaaa cuttie idea! thankyou for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so resourceful and creative! Love it! Looks fantastic. And you know no one else will have one just like it!

    ReplyDelete