Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Make Your Own Taco Seasoning

You know the panic that you feel when you have dinner planned and then you realize you forgot something at the store? Well a few weeks ago that happened to me. Meat browned, cheese shredded, salsa made, and no taco seasoning for the meat.

No time to run to the store, I did a quick search for how to make your own taco seasoning. I tweaked the recipe a bit based on the spices I had, and cooked it up. It was AWESOME, and we haven't had store-bought since.

The best part is you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the pantry with your spices, that way you don't have to take the time to make it while you are cooking.



Because it has been such a hit, I thought I would share it here. It is so easy to do!

HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
makes approx. 6 tablespoons

2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tablespoon Orgeano
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper

Drain meat, add 1/2 cup water and use about 2 tablespoons of the seasoning per 1 pound of meat, adjust to taste, just like you would with a store-bought taco packet!

You can store the rest in an airtight container with your other spices! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Great! I need to whip up a batch stat!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will come in handy when I realize it's the one thing I forgot to buy at the grocery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's how Katy and Bennett decided to have Taco Thursday. :)

    ReplyDelete