Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tip Tuesday #30 /// SHIPPING SUPPLIES



One of the absolutely most frustrating things about owning your own business can be shipping. It isn't something I had to worry much about in the beginning because I was exclusively doing digital, printable invites.

But over the four years I have owned my Etsy shop, I have collected some tips that have made shipping and dealing with the Post Office a lot less stressful {keep in mind, it is still stressful, but hopefully my tips will help!}

CREATE A REALISTIC TURNAROUND TIME
This is both hard and super important. Be realistic with how long it will take you to complete the order, and make sure it is listed EVERYWHERE. Your customers might not read this before they place the order, but it will help you to stand your ground if any issues arise.

CHARGE ENOUGH
I see so many people not charging enough for shipping on Etsy. Read my post on how to calculate your shipping charges here.

PRINT YOUR OWN SHIPPING LABELS
Etsy & most other ecommerce sites, offer the option to print your own shipping lables online. This saves you both time and frustration at the post office, and money because you get discounted bulk rates.

BUY A LABEL PRINTER
The Dymo LabelWriter 4XL is maybe the best thing we have ever bought for the business. No more cutting and taping labels, no more buying the expensive sticker sheets. This thing is fast, and once you get over the sticker shock of how much this little thing is, it is worth it. It uses heat printing, so you never have to worry about ink, and the "knock - off" labels {our favorite is houselabels.com, but we order them from Amazon} work as good if not better than the name brand ones. PS. sometimes, Etsy has a discount code to buy these!


REUSE/RECYCLE WHAT YOU CAN
Lots of the shipments we get, are packed full of kraft paper & bubble wrap KEEP THEM. They are expensive to buy and come in handy when packing fragile things. We have a plastic container in the office full of supplies we can reuse.

BUY YOUR SUPPLIES FROM ULINE 
By far the best bang for your supplies buck is ordering from Uline they have a warehouse in the area, so we can go pick our orders up, within 30 min of placing them, but their shipping is quick too. Plus if your order enough they let you pick from some funny free gifts.

ORDER ANY FLAT RATE BOXES YOU NEED ONLINE
Did you know your mailman can bring you those USPS flat rate boxes? Order them here

SCHEDULE PICKUPS
When I say we HATE going to the post office I mean it. But we have an awesome mail man who always takes care of us. So we asked for some bins, and started scheduling pickups. You can do it too! here

Hope all of this helps! Feel free to leave your shipping questions below!


2 comments:

  1. Cute new signature, ladycakes!
    Because my shipments vary in weight and I send so many all at once, I use Stamps.com for my shipping. Etsy works similar but I want something that I can do batch shipping and throw it on my scale and have it all integrated together. Plus it updates the tracking to my Etsy account automatically. Love it. Totally worth the monthly costs for me.

    Def going to check out the houselabels.com. I'm so glad I bought my Dymo 4XL. Best decision ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking extensive notes if my dreams are going to become a reality as far as owning an etsy business. And your labels always look top notch too. :)

    ReplyDelete