Monday, July 15, 2013

SHOP FEATURE /// NIKKI FROM DELOVELY DETAILS & A COUPON!

Recently I met a fellow handmade artist and blogger.


Isn't she gorgeous? We instantly bonded over our love of Disney and being Etsy sellers. I am so excited for her to be the first Etsy Seller Feature on the blog.

I wish we could have sat down for a cup of coffee and had a real-life conversation but thanks to techcnology our coast to coast conversation had to happen via email. She has some great advice for anyone who sells or is thinking of selling on Etsy! Read on for a coupon to use in her beautiful shop!

/// AN INTERVIEW WITH DELOVELY DETAILS /// 

In 5 sentences or less tell us a little bit about yourself!
I'm a southern California girl, grew up in Los Angeles area and now live in the Orange County area. I graduated from Cal State Long Beach with a degree in Psychology. I've been dating my husband since I was 16 years old, and we've been married 6 years! I love meeting new people and trying new things, especially traveling and recently, running. I take each day as a blessing and do my very best to treat it as such. 

What is the name of your Etsy shop and how long have you been open?
My Etsy shop is named "delovely details" and I listed my first item back in July of 2011. {Check out her shop here}

What is the hardest part of owning your own business?
The hardest part of owning your own business is not having regular work hours. I do my best to make sure I have some down time for my husband and myself but it can be really hard. It's so important to keep your priorities straight. I feel guilty if I don't write back Etsy conversations right away sometimes, even if I'm supposed to be spending quality time with someone else. It's a balancing act.
What is the best thing you ever did for your business?
The best thing I did for delovely details was networking. I do my best to stay up to date with people in my industry and meet fellow Etsy sellers. Starting those relationships not only can give you advice and help in certain aspects, but they can also help you get word out about your products. Not to mention, some of the coolest people I've met are fellow Etsy sellers. 

What didn't you expect when you opened the shop?
I really didn't expect for delovely details to take off like it did. When I first started, I figured if I could make enough money a month to have a date night, then it was worth it. A year after I started selling, I was able to quit my 9-5 job. Never in a million years did I think that was possible. The timing was perfect.
What is the one thing you wish someone had told you before you opened?
I wish someone would have told me how demanding it can be and all of the stress that comes with starting your own Etsy shop. I wasn't prepared for any of that. I wish someone would have told me how consuming it can be. I love and hate it at the same time. However, this is one of the most fulfilling things in my life.


What is the one piece of advice you would offer to someone who was thinking of opening a shop?
One piece of advice I would give someone who was thinking of opening a shop is to make sure you are passionate about it. If you don't have passion about what you are doing or creating, you will burn out.
What is your day to day life like owing your shop and running a blog?
My day to day life is pretty busy, especially right now during wedding season. Even the blog has had to take a backseat to orders recently (hopefully that will change soon). I start working around 7am and I'm pretty happy if I can stop working around 10pm. It can be tough but I love it when I get a picture from a customer using our products on their wedding day or a thank you note from someone. It really makes my entire day.
What is your favorite "day-off" activity?
When I'm not in my garage working, I love to run. I've completed 2 half marathons and I'm currently training for 3 more in the next six months. My husband and I also have season passes to Disneyland, so we take breaks and go on a few rides on occasion. 
What are your favorite blogs?
I have way too many blogs that I love. If I had to name too, I'd probably choose these ladies: I've been following Jenny from http://www.wanlifetolive.com since before I was married. I recently found, followed, met and became friends with Julie over at http://www.Julieannart.com

What is your biggest online pet-peeve?
My biggest online pet-peeve is no-reply commenters. I want to have a conversation with these commenteres so bad, but I can't if they are no-reply. Change your setting people! Julie has a great tutorial on how to make sure you are not a "no-reply" commenter: http://www.julieannart.com/2013/04/how-to-stop-being-no-reply-blogger.html



Visit Nikki's shop /// shop //// facebook /// blog /// twitter

/// COUPON ///
Just for Designs by Nicolina readers use code NICOLINA20 for 20% off your purchase
now thru August 31st, 2013 on her ETSY SHOP 

8 comments:

  1. You are so sweet! Thank you again! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to be able to feature you :)

      Nicole

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely feature! Great photos too! :)

    http://www.leopardmartini.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Adriana!

      Nicole White

      Delete
  3. What a darling girl! I love her Etsy Shop. Everything is so pretty. Nicole I simply love your blog! I am so excited to be your newest follower on Bloglovin so that I can always have updates on your lovely site! http://www.lynnandlou.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I really appreciate it because I love your blog!

      Nicole

      Delete
  4. Love this post and love Nikki's etsy shop - too bad I didn't know about her before I got married!

    And in response to Nikki's online pet peeve - it's hard for me as a wordpress blogger because everyone tells me I'm a no-reply commenter but I have yet to find out how to change this for a wordpress user!

    Ellie
    www.ChoosingPeaceBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I thought the same thing!
      Hope you find your answer!

      Nicole

      Delete