Monday, May 13, 2013

A YUMMY RECIPE FOR KEY LIME PIE


I want to preface this post by saying "I am NOT a baker" I didn't grow up baking with my mom, we made bake and break cookies, and instant brownies {she is an AMAZING cook, mostly Italian food, she can turn what looks like an empty pantry into a 4 course meal, but not so much a baker} but it seems like every time I ask 'What can I bring?' to an event the answer is always dessert, so I had to learn how to make a few things.

I love making s'mores bars {maybe I will share that recipe the next time I make them} but my husband LOVES key lime pie. I have tried a few recipes but with some tweaks of the original recipe here this one was by far my favorite.


Here is what you need!
I love it because it is pretty much dump everything into a bowl and mixing it up!

>>> INGREDIENTS <<<
For the Pie
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 Cup of Key Lime Juice {I usually can't get KEY limes at my supermarket so I just use limes, or key lime juice concentrate}
- Zest of 1 Lime
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- Pre-made graham cracker crust {9 inches} - I guess you can make your own, but "Ain't no body got time fo' 'dat"

For the Topping
- 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of powdered sugar

>>> DIRECTIONS <<<
1. Preheat the oven to 375*
2. Add the yolks, the juice, the lime zest, and the condensed milk to a bowl and mix it up until it is all combined
3. Pour into pre-made crust
4. Stick it in the oven for 15 min
5. While it is baking make your topping, combine the whipping cream and sugar {you can add vanilla extract or more sugar if you want it sweeter, but with key lime pie I don't like the topping to be TOO sweet} whip with a mixer until it looks like whipped cream! Stick it in the fridge!
6. Take the pie out, and let it cool for about an hour {this will give the cream time to set up too}
7. After an hour top your pie {use all of the cream} I like as much cream as pie almost!
8. If you want to get fancy add some lime slices!

Feel free to comment with any questions about the recipe!

5 comments:

  1. So yummy! I love limes. I always have to have at least a couple of limes or lime juice in my home. Thanks for this tasty looking recipe! I love your blog, doll.

    Love, Richelle from Lynn + Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect! I may try this Thursday. I will let you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful! I added a bit of mexican vanilla to the whipped cream, and omg... Our guests loved it :) Thanks for the recipe

      Delete